Installing a new roof is a major investment. Not only is it costly, but it’s also a major focal point of the home and needs to be structurally sound as well. So, before you choose the material for a new roof it is important to educate yourself about the different types of roofing material. Keep reading to learn more about the pros and cons of different roof types!
When deciding on a roof, there are several factors to consider such as budget and geographic location. Other factors include:
- Longevity – How long will the material last?
- Durability – Is the material strong enough to hold up to the local climate?
- Slope – Will the material work with the existing slope of your roof?
- Aesthetics – Does it compliment the look and feel of the home?
- Local Code – Does the material adhere to county and HOA regulations?
Is it time for a new roof? Our dedicated and experienced roofing specialists install new roofs for residential and multi-family properties! Call Performance Roofing today at 407.710.9397 for a FREE estimate!
Pros and Cons of the Different Roofing Materials
Unless it is extremely poor quality, there isn’t a “bad” roofing material. However, there are pros and cons to each different type.
Asphalt shingles are the most common type of roofing material sold today and comprise of almost 80% of roofs in the new housing market.
- Affordable – Complete replacements range anywhere from $3.50 per square foot to $5.00 per square foot depending on style and warranty.
- Fire and wind-resistant – They are made of a fiberglass mat surrounded by asphalt, which provides a durable layer of protection from UV rays, wind, and rain.
- Moderate in weight
- Appropriate for a variety of slope types
- Limited Lifetime Warranty for manufacturer defects
- Not as durable as some other roofing materials
- Realistic Life span of 15 to 25 years in our harsh, Southeastern Climate
- Not ecofriendly
Interested in installing an asphalt shingle roof? The pros at Performance Roofing will determine if shingles are a good option for your home.
Concrete tile roofs are a popular option for many Florida stucco homes and provide a sought-after Mediterranean appearance. Concrete tile roofs hold a larger market share in the South Florida markets.
- Life span of up to 50 years if installed properly
- Impact resistant and fire resistant
- Energy efficient and recyclable
- 30-year to a Limited Lifetime Warranty on concrete tile itself
- Expensive – Prices range between $8.00 to $15.00 per square foot for a proper replacement.
- Requires a strong support structure due to the system’s weight and house must be designed/engineered for the system
- Often installed improperly by builders to save money, which has hurt the system’s reputation
Interested in receiving a quote on a tile roof for your home? Contact Performance Roofing today at 407.710.9397 for a FREE estimate!
Metal roofs are both attractive and durable, however, there is a wide range of options based on the profile, thickness, and quality of the material. Most common options include steel and aluminum, with exposed fasteners or concealed fasteners to extend the life of the system.
- Lightweight and Durable
- Eco-friendly and Energy Efficient
- Applications for a variety of slopes
- Life span of up to 50 years and beyond if installed with proper components
- Expensive price point – Prices range between $10.00 to $15.00 per square foot.
- Steel prone to rust in high salt environment, especially if installed improperly.
- Many “budget” contractors offering to install a commercial panel over your existing asphalt roofing system with exposed screws. Most don’t understand the negative consequences of this and are tricked into installing an inferior metal system.
A metal roof is beautiful and durable, but is it right for your home? The roofing experts at Performance Roofing can help you decide!
Performance Roofing – Orlando’s Premier Roofing Contractor
Need a new roof on your residential or multi-family property? Performance Roofing will take care of all your roofing needs! Call the reliable roofing experts at Performance Roofing today at 407.783.8646 for a FREE estimate!